1. Lose weight to reduce the pressure and strain on muscles and joints.
2. Start doing Yoga or any form of gentle exercise. Moving arthritic joints is painful but you can build strength and mobility with proper movement. It would be worth going to a Yoga teacher to learn the correct movements.
3. Swim in a heated pool. The warm water will help to relax while you exercise.
4. Massage Eucalyptus oil or goanna oil into painful joints. The massage relaxes tense muscles and the heat penetrates to ease pain. Apply a muscle treatment like eucalyptus or goanna oil at night. In the morning, you will not be as stiff.
5. When a joint is stressed from overwork cold treatment can help reduce swelling. Use an ice pack, gel pack or even just a bag of peas from the freezer. Apply to the joint for about 15-20 minutes. Remove for about 10-15 minutes, and repeat. This can be done over for a few hours if needed.
6. Try to give up sleeping tablets, pain relief tablets and anything else you are using. See your doctor for advice on how to approach this. Do not stop taking any medication without checking with your doctor. When you take strong painkillers or sleeping tablets regularly over time, they begin to lose their effect on your body. If you do not take them often, they will be more effective when you really need them.
7. You need to exercise just as everyone else does. One of the benefits of exercise is that your body produces natural painkillers and mood enhancers. Your pain will be less and you will be happier. Your weight will be easier to manage too.
8. Try not to be stressed. When you are stressed, you tense your muscles. This can cause unnecessary discomfort.
9. Fish oil with vitamins A and D, and vitamin C supplements have been beneficial to some sufferers. Vitamin A and D are dangerous in large doses so follow the directed dose carefully. Vitamin C can be taken in large doses.
10. Some people have found foods like tomato, potato, eggplant, and peppers as well as milk products can aggravate their condition. Try avoiding these products and see if you find relief.