Let’s face it. No woman wants to age gracefully. We all live in a society that values youth and beauty above all else. This is not going to change anytime in the near future, and there’s nothing wrong with wanting to look your best. A beautiful outer appearance can have a great effect on a woman’s feelings of self esteem and self worth. It doesn’t matter if you have discovered the first signs of crow’s feet, or if you have a face full of deep lines, there is still time to fight wrinkles. Use these 5 tips for effective anti-wrinkle skin care, and your face will look as though you’ve discovered the fountain of youth.
1. Stay out of the sun as much as possible. This may seem like a huge feat during the summer months, especially if you have children who love spending all day at the beach. Go out and buy one of those fabulous, huge floppy hats. You can make a fashion statement, and hide from the sun’s harmful rays, at the same time.
2. Remember your sunscreen. This is very important if you do decide to venture out into the sun. Don’t assume that just because you’ve left your skin bare for some many years that you are beyond help. Better late than never. Just make sure you look for sunscreen that protects from both UVA and UVB rays, and has an SPF rating of at least 15. Apply the sunscreen lotion 15 minutes before you head out, and then about every 2-4 hours.
3. Quit smoking. Everyone is aware of the effect that smoking has on our teeth, breath, and lungs. Many women don’t realize that your skin will thank you as much as your lungs will if you break this terrible habit. Cigarette smoke releases the free radicals that break down collagen in your skin. This breakdown of collagen is what causes wrinkles.
4. Anti-wrinkle face cream. This step seems obvious enough to omit from any list, but it is so important, that it is worth mentioning. It doesn’t matter if you have dry, oily, or combination skin, using a quality anti-wrinkle moisturizer will help reduce the signs of aging. There are certain ingredients you should keep in mind next time you hit your favorite department store counter. These include: Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and Vitamin E. The way you might see these ingredients listed on the box are Retinol, ascorbic acid, and Tocopherol, respectively. Newer highly effective ingredients being used include: Matrixyl 3000, Argireline, Hyaluronic Acid, DMAE, Q10, Retinol palmitate, Ester C, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Squalane, Collagen and Elastin. One last acronym to watch for is AHA, of alpha hydroxy acid. It is wonderful for your skin, and found naturally in foods such as apples. Just remember this new mantra: An apple a day keeps the dermatologist away!
5. Get plenty of rest. Getting inadequate amounts of rest wreaks havoc on your soul, and your face. Do yourself a favor and put the kids to bed a little early. Now head to your bedroom, close the curtains, turn off all the lights, and sleep your way to a smoother, fresher complexion.