Don’t get ripped off. There are plenty of honest transmission repair specialists that will repair your transmission at a reasonable cost. We have encountered customers that have paid over a thousand dollars at certain locations where the same repair work could have been done for a few hundred dollars.
Being one of the most expensive repairs on your vehicle, you must do your due diligence when searching for an honest and experienced transmission repair center.
Here are a few steps to take to save on transmission repair costs.
1. Some repair centers do not do work on transmissions or they do not do the work on the premises. Instead, they will tow the car to a local transmission repair shop and charge you an additional fee on top of what they will be charged in order to make a profit. So, try to deal directly with the transmission center to avoid paying any markups.
2. Shop around to find transmission repair centers that have competitive pricing. Find out if they match or will beat competitor prices.
3. Give them the following information they will need
a. Is your transmission standard or automatic?
b. Is your vehicle front wheel drive, rear wheel drive, or 4 wheel drive?
4. DO NOT ALLOW any transmission center to charge you an inspection, road test, or tear down fee before they quote you a price for the repair. In order to accurately determine what the problem may be, the transmission specialist may have to take apart the transmission.
5. Take or have your car towed to the transmission center only if there is no fee for the intial inspection, road test and tear down.
6. When getting a price quote, make sure to get it in writing and make sure it includes a warranty. Watch for any hidden costs.
These are just a few of the steps needed in order to avoid paying any unnecessary costs for transmission work.