Acid reflux treatments can be a usual treatment among every patient because there are many methods that exist unlike other diseases. Acid reflux or gastroesthopageal disease or GERD is due to the incompetence of the lower esophageal sphincter. Patients having this kind of condition prefer home remedies as a substitute for the more conventional medicines.
Most acid reflux treatments follow a sensible, nutritious diet which produces less stomach acid. Such kind of treatment patterns have shown to be effective for a fast aid of acid reflux.
Sleeping on the left side had showed less night time reflux occurrence in patients. A meta-analysis recommended that elevating the head of the bed is an effective therapy. Elevation can be achieved by using plastic or wooden bed risers which support bed posts or legs or using therapeutic bed wedge pillow, or a wedge or an inflatable mattress lifter which fits in between mattress and box spring. The height of the elevation is critical thus, should be set at least six to eight inches to avoid backflow of gastric fluids.
* Alginic acid or Geviscom can coat the mucosa as well as increase pH and decrease reflux. It may be the most effective of non-prescription treatments.
* Antacids before meals or after symptoms begin could reduce gastric acidity. It is also a non-prescription drug.
* Prokinetics improves the lower esophageal sphincter and also speeds up gastric emptying.
* Sucralfate is beneficial as an adjunct in helping heal and prevent esophageal damage caused by GERD. Thus, it should be taken several times daily and at least two hours apart prior to taking meals and medications.
* Mosapride citrate a 5-HT4 used during a therapy for GERD and dyspepsia
* Nissen fundoplication where the upper part of the stomach is wrapped around the lower esophageal sphincter to strengthen the sphincter and avoid acid reflux
* TIF or transoral incisionless fundoplication is done to reconstruct the valve between the stomach and diaphragm by going through the esophagus using a device called Esophyx.
Some acid reflux treatments can be a decisive and dangerous process, specifically if the condition of GERD is severe enough to require surgical treatment. A standard surgical treatment is sometimes preferred over a long term usage of medications.
Acid reflux treatments must directly equal the severity of your condition so as not lead to any other problems.