Chloramine in Drinking Water is Not As Safe As They Say

The use of chloramine in drinking water is becoming more and more common, as the wastewater treatment facilities begin to move away from using chlorine as a disinfectant agent. Chlorine was always considered by some to be too volatile a chemical for use in disinfecting our drinking water. It is after all a known carcinogen, and it is so powerful in large concentrations that it was introduced as a chemical weapon during World War I.

Of course, we are not receiving doses nearly as large as those that proved so deadly during the war. The Environmental Protection Agency has set the standard safe dosage for use in drinking water at 3-4 PPM (parts per million). 4 PPM is believed to be the maximum dosage for a 150 lb. man, and every effort is made to keep the concentration in our water beneath that upper limit.

The problem is that the science behind using chlorine and chloramine in drinking water is not an exact one. Nobody is really sure whether the recommended dosage is actually safe or not and there has been many instances where the level of chlorine in local water supplies has exceeded the set maximum. Incidents like these are primarily due to human error, but they bring up some important questions about safety.

One question that comes to mind is why if a public swimming pool exceeds 4 PPM it is required by law to be closed down until the situation can be rectified, but if our water supply exceeds 4 PPM service is not interrupted? To think that if it is too dangerous to absorb these chemicals into your skin at these levels, but it is alright to ingest them seems to me absurd.

The reason that the switch is being made from chlorine to chloramine in drinking water is because chloramines is slightly less volatile, but more stable. It is this stability that makes it every bit as dangerous to us as chlorine is, and possibly more. Chlorine will break down before it reaches some homes, but you will get every bit of chloramines that is present in your water.

It doesn’t matter which one of these carcinogens is being used to disinfect your water, because precautions need to be taken to protect yourself from either one. The way to make sure that your family is safe from ingesting these and other harmful pollutants in our water is through the use of a home water purification system.

Removing chlorine and chloramine in drinking water can be accomplished with a unit that features a granular activated carbon filter. A multi media block will remove the remaining chemical agents that are present, and a sub micron filter will eliminate parasites and cysts. The last essential filter is an ion exchange, which trades healthy electrolytes for toxic metals in your water.

Chloramine in drinking water is not as safe of an alternative as the water treatment heads would like for you to believe. Eliminate this threat by installing a quality filter system today, and you will sleep better tonight.

BOLA TANGKAS