Shingles are caused due to the viral infection of Varicella zoster. This same virus is responsible for the outbreak of chicken pox. Commonly known as Herpes Zoster, the infection appears as rashes and blisters on the skin quite similar to the chicken pox but is not contagious as chicken pox. The symptoms are generally observed in the aged people but the young people too get affected by this disease. The painful blisters appear on the face, head and limbs. Sometimes the eyes are affected too and if prompt treatment is not administered it may result in blindness or facial paralysis.
The symptoms almost resemble the chicken pox which can be listed as
1. Appearance of painful blisters and rashes on the face and limbs.
2. Feeling of intense pain, itchiness, burning sensation and numbness.
3. Pain and tenderness may develop in some parts of the body before the outbreak of rashes.
The virus Varicella zoster is the causative factor of shingles. Other important causes are
1. Weakened body immunity system, especially in the elders.
3. Certain medications
Home Remedies for Shingles
Home remedies are quite effective in reducing the disease within seven days after the blisters get ruptured. The scars also disappear with the prolonged home remedial measures.
1. Application of a paste of 2 powdered aspirin tablets and 2 tablespoons of chloroform on the affected area helps in alleviating the pain.
2. Applying cold compress on the affected areas also provides a soothing effect. A solution of baking soda and water can be very effective as a cold compress.
3. Avoid food rich in amino acids like cereals, grains, nuts, seeds and chocolate.
4. The blisters should not be scratched and should be kept open and dry.
5. Moisten a cotton cloth with a mixture of half cup apple cider vinegar and 2 cups of water. Dab the cotton cloth on the affected areas. It will provide some relief from the painful condition. One can also use Vitamin E oil, cool golden seal, mugwort or peppermint tea to dab on the blisters.
6. Dab the infected blisters with hydrogen peroxide.
7. Application of colloidal powder on the blisters reduces the itching and pain.
8. Apply a mixture of aloe vera gel, raw honey and leek juice on the rashes. This with reduce the pain and help in drying of the scars.
9. A mixture of yoghurt and zinc oxide is applied on the particular nerve few days before to curb the outbreak of the shingles.
10. Eat ample amounts of pear as its juice is rich in antiviral caffeic acid.
A super easy recipe for making the classic Hawaiian dish, Huli Huli Chicken. I did this on my Weber.
Huli Huli Sauce Recipe:
3/4 cups soy sauce
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup chicken broth
3/4 cup ketchup
2 tbs red wine vinegar
2 1/2 tbs fresh minced ginger
6 cloves crushed garlic