Madrid is famous for both it’s rich culture and its numerous art museums, especially the Golden Triangle of Art located on Paseo del Prado. Following is the list of five Must See galleries ans museums in Madrid.
1. Museo del Prado – Clocking in at well over 2.5 million visitors a year, the Museo del Prado is the most popular museum in Spain and regularly in the top 10 in the world for visitor numbers. The Museo del Prado is primarily a museum for sculpture and paintings and is home to many European classics from the 12th to the 19th centuries.
2. Museo Nacional de Arqueología – Built in 1867, The National Museum of Archaeology is a showcase of historic finds over many periods including pre-history, Celtic, Iberian, Greek, Roman and medieval. One of the many highlights includes the Treasure of Guarrazar dating back to the Visigothic period of 409-711.
3. Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía – Probably most famous for being the current home (after an extended stay in New York) of Pablo Picasso’s Guernica. Often called by English speakers as simply ‘The Sofia’ the Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía was reopened in 1992, however the museum is built upon the site of an 18th century hospital.
The Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía houses 20th century art, mostly Spanish in origin and also features a free-access library with over 100,000 books.
4. Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum – One of the many museums in Madrid’s ‘Golden Triangle of Art’ and features collections from English, Dutch and German artists. Home to over 1600 paintings of many different styles including Expressionists, Impressionists and 20th century American and European. Starting off originally as a private museum, over the years it has become much more accessible to the public.
5. CaixaForum Madrid – An art gallery which stands in very much stark contrast to the others listed above. The CaixaForum is best described as a post-modern art gallery only being completed in 2007. In just its short life it has already become one of the most popular museums in Madrid playing home to some of the most interesting modern international art talent in the world.
Madrid has a diverse collection of museums and galleries, and most of them are easily accessible by Madrid’s comprehensive public transport system that makes the city very accessible through all seasons.