Gillingham – Kent is an urban district and it comes under the Local Government Act of 1894. Before Odo of Beyeux built the church of St Mary Magdalene, the land was mainly farmland.
Gillingham is watered by the River Medway. It receives its power supply from the Kingsnorth power stations on the opposite bank of the rivers. Gillingham – Kent had seen many warriors and wars and many disasters too during the wars.
The population of Gillingham – Kent was only 27, 809 in 1901 and it rose to 42, 530 1919. Just after World War I, a memorial in the shape of a obelisk was erected on the Great Lines. It is possible to see this white stone for many miles.
Apart from this, after World War II additional structures were added to commemorate the dead during the war time. Portsmouth and Plymouth house similar monuments. All these monuments and memorials add beauty and fame to this war-ridden town of yesteryears.
Occupation at Gillingham – Kent was limited to the naval base. When this naval base ceased there was considerable unemployment. A business park is set up to attract business and in turn give employment. Gillingham is an important shopping and it has a large street market in the High Street. This market is busy on Saturdays and Mondays.
The Roadways and the Railways make up the chief transportation in the town. They link the small areas surrounding Gillingham – Kent. Gillingham is the terminus of the electrified system of the Southern Railway. This enables a free and less problematic journey through the town.
Football has played a major role in this famous town of Gillingham – Kent. Many League Football matches have been played here and it is home to many famous football players like Steve Bruce, George Burley, Marlon King Glen Roeder and many more to name.
Life out here is quite simple but one can pay a visit to see the simple lifestyle of the people and bask in the glory of its ancient memories.