Some people say the there should be enough storage to last for seven days. However, the way things are after a hurricane, tornado, floods, loss of electricity or other disasters, one week is just not enough. It should at least be for a month just like a 3PL facility to store their inventory or a Los Angeles contract warehouse. They follow the policy of first in and first out. Likewise, the older stocked goods should be used first and then replace them with new one.
As people are moving towards urban living and grocery shopping becoming a norm, food storage fell by the wayside for many. These are real uncertain times of potential crises, food shortages and political unrest becomes more real, many need to store food and other essential necessities for times of emergency. Here’s how to you can store food for longer duration.
* Make a pantry list as to what items need to be included in your food storage. This will also include the considerations like what you already have in store and what more is needed. Make and update your list accordingly from time to time.
* After consulting the pantry list, you will make a shopping list mentioning all that you need to purchase. Find out pricing and availability of a particular product and list the options for best sources available.
* Apart from food items you will need storage items like container for long-term storage. Bucket like containers are used to store bulk food in the form of grains.
* As you shop, do compare the prices on the way. This may call for changes on your shopping list.
* Do not forget to buy a variety of food stuff as you are piling up your emergency food storage. For instance, if your budget is $ 100 per month, try splitting it in various forms, rather than just buying salt one month and sugar the next. Some people usually need to replenish their supplies sooner than expected. In such case you will need a little of everything to in your pantry.
* Get hold of suitable cans to store water as you just cannot do without this necessity. Store, at least 14 gallons of water for one adult. This amount can last for two weeks. After that rotate this water storage as it can only last for 6-12 months. In case you possess a well with a hand pump, you do not have to store water. Whereas, those dependent on town water system need to store water. Anyhow, just make sure you have a heavy-duty water filter and some spare filters.
* Besides pulses and other grains also buy 75 lbs. of legumes and beans per adult. In this category you will like kidney beans, lentils, navy beans, split peas along with other varieties according to your taste.
* As per your taste habits and requirements, you can also stock up frozen beef, chicken and fish. The best art is they can also be stored in dehydrated or canned forms.
* Perhaps, you will also want to keep a stock of goodies in your pantry. In which case you can buy dry fruits, nuts, chocolate, coffee, and others.