Khoya and Gulkand Burfi recipe is mainly prepared in India, you will find this recipe in northern region of India, Here this recipe is made easy to prepare for new to cooking field, Use of khoya – sugar- clarified butter makes it high calorie recipe but very tasty and delicious to use.
Ingredients required to make Khoya and Gulkand Burfi
1/2 kg – soft khoya or mawa
2 cups – powdered sugar
3 tbsp – ghee (clarified butter)
1/2 tsp – cardamom powder
1 tsp – cardamom powder
2 tbsp – gulkand (a mixture with rose extract)
6 to 8 – almonds, slivered
small silver lining (varakh) for decoration (optional)
Method for preparing Khoya and Gulkand Burfi
1. Place a heavy pan on low flame and put gulkand into it.
2. You can even add 4-5 fresh red-rose petals to it.
3. Stir gently for a while and when you see soft lumps form, remove from the flame and leave it aside to cool.
4. Now mash the khoya with your hand.
5. Apply some ghee to grease your palms and mash the khoya well so it becomes soft and smooth.
6. Add powdered sugar and mix it well.
7. Put the mixture in a large non-stick pan, add 2 tbsp ghee and heat it on high flame for 2-3 minutes.
8. Now heat it on low flame, stirring continuously.
9. Once you see it take a light-brown color and the ghee starts separating at the edges of the pan, remove from flame.
10. The sugar will leave water, so the mava consistency should be thick yet granular and soft. If you think it is too dry, add 2 more tbsp ghee to it.
11. Now add cardamom powder and mix well.
12. Take a small portion of the mixture, around 1/4th, in another pan, add the gulkand to it and stir to make a red-colored mawa mixture.
13. Now keep the 2 mixtures separate and allow it to cool till you can manage it with your hands without scalding your skin.
14. Take half of the white mixture and spread it on a greased plate with edges.
15. Then spread the red gulkand mixture on top of it, and put a third layer of the white mixture right on the top.
16. Garnish with slivered almonds or pistachios and silver varakh.
17. Once the mithai sets a little, make small bite-sized squares using a blunt knife, then set it into the refrigerator for about 10 mins.
18. Remove from the fridge, cut the sqaures and remove them from the plate and store them in an air-tight container.
19. You can preserve this sweet for 4 to 5 days in the fridge.
20. Serve this beautiful gulkand burfi to your guests and spread the spirit of friendship and love!