At a simplistic level – organic food is he food that is grown without having employing synthetic chemical compounds, pesticides, fertilizers for a higher yield and/ or enhanced size, shape and taste. Scientifically speaking organic foods do not contain synthetic or lab processed chemical compounds, pesticides, fertilizers, herbicides, genetically modified DNA or genes of crop, artificial colors, preservatives, hormones and/or antibiotics. Organic farming and/or organic processing seeks to retain and improve the nutritional content material of meals by way of practices such as
– Avoiding polishing/de-skinning of grains
– Cold pressing of oils to stay away from hydrogenation,
– Usage of natural fertilizers, manures and pesticides and at a level that is optimum for human consumption and soil conservation.
– Crop rotation and hand weeding methods are followed to avoid/destroy insects and weeds
– Absence of any radiation processes.
– Non-usage of GMO seeds.
– The shelf life of meals is not enhanced making use of preservatives. Organic food decays following its stipulated shelf life.
– No artificial colors and /or preservatives are used to boost the size, shape and taste.
– Organic animal produce needs animals to be reared in a natural atmosphere and on a suitable diet regime. Usage of animal incubators and animal factories are proscribed. Animals are not given un-essential supplements of hormones and antibiotics to artificially increase their size.
The benefits of consuming organic are –
– The threat of meals poisoning, allergies is NIL
– Organically grown meals show higher amount of nutrients compared to non-organic or conventional food such as 27% much more vitamin C, 29% much more magnesium, 21% far more iron, 14% much more phosphorous.
– Especially in spinach, lettuce, cabbage and potatoes higher levels are minerals are packed compared to conventionally or non-organically grown generate
– Good levels of phenolics compound is discovered in organically grown fruits. This compound is necessary for human physique to execute anti-oxidant-activity (AOA) which reduces threat of degenerative conditions/illnesses (The Phenolic compound is naturally generated by plants to ward off attacks by pests and can be utilized by human physique for anti-oxidant-activity. Nonetheless this is only correct for only organically grown crops )
Identifying Organic meals
– Look for the label/logo of the certification physique that has monitored and authorized the production and processing of the food item as Organic.
– Know about the suppliers that are authorized to sell organic food and make certain that the labeling is truthful.
– The value of organic meals is about ten% to 200% far more high-priced than non-organic meals based on availability and scale
* Final but not least and a extremely critical aspect in checking the genuineness of organic food is that it typically takes about double the quantity of time to cook when compared to non-organic varieties. Also when soaked for a extended period of time, organic legumes, grains or pulses do not turn into soft or break effortlessly and the skin only slightly shrinks. The purpose is that synthetic chemical substances make the grains light or hollow whereas organic grain tends to be denser and fuller.