First you have to understand how I shop for food items. I love the “buy one get one free” items, you just never know when that extra item will come in handy for last minute dishes. I am also watchful for sale items, even though I might not need the item for that weeks meal menu, it is always good to save a little money now for that great dish later.
Although I think fresh is best, you can never go wrong with a canned or frozen item for these last minute recipes.
This offering is of two of my most recent creations that were a big success and only took 45 minutes to prepare and bake. First one that was a great success for my chocolate lover friends a few weeks ago.
Double Chocolate Cream Cheese Bars
1 box chocolate cake mix
2 packages cream cheese room temperature
1 ½ cups chocolate chips
1 box confectionery sugar
1 stick butter room temperature
– Mix the cake mix with butter till crumbly
separate ½ cup of mix and set aside
press the rest of cake/butter mix into bottom of a 8×11.5×2 baking dish
– Take the cream cheese, eggs, sugar and blend till smooth
– Melt the chocolate chips and mix into this mixture till well blended
– Pour the cream cheese mixture on top of your cake mix, sprinkle the half cup of cake mixture on top
– Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes till center is set.
– Let cool, then cut into 2 inch squares.
– Refrigerate the left over bars, just set out few minutes prior to serving.
Substitution for cream cheese, and sugar- cream cheese icing
So what was the dessert that inspired me to start sharing my recipes with all of you and especially my Apple loving friends. From the kitchen Cabinets of Larry, here is the newest creation.
Quick and Easy Apple Oatmeal Crisp
2 cans of Apple Pie Filling
1 cup of Golden Raisins
1 ½ sticks of butter room temperature
1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
1 ½ cup light brown sugar
1 ½ cup Oats
1 tablespoon cinnamon
– Prepare a 8×11.5×2 baking dish by rubbing with oil or spray with cooking spray
– Mix the raisins and the pie filling together and pour into baking dish
– Mix the butter, flour, sugar, oats, cinnamon and nutmeg till crumbly.
– Spread this mixture over the apple/raisin.
– Bake at 350 degrees till the top is brown and apple are bubbly. Approx. 30 minutes
I hope you enjoy these great quick recipes.