Here is a mouthwatering chili featuring sautéed chicken strips in a chicken broth and tomato base. Sautéed chicken, chopped onion and minced garlic is combined with minced chili pepper, crushed tomatoes. Black beans and kidney beans. Seasoned with chili powder, dried oregano, salt and pepper, and simmered over low heat to meld flavors. Individual bows are garnished with fresh chopped cilantro and shredded Monterrey Jack cheese.
This is a one pot meal or a great side dish to your favorite Mexican entrée. Excellent right after cooking, this chili only gets better after sitting in the refrigerator overnight.
Use homemade chicken broth instead of the store bought broth, if possible.
Spicy Chicken Chili with Tomatoes and Beans
2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
1 White Onion, chopped
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
1 pound Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts, cut into thin slices
4 teaspoons Chili Powder
1 tablespoon Ground Cumin
2 teaspoons Dried Oregano
1 teaspoon Coarse Salt
2 Jalapeno Chili Peppers, seeded, ribs removed, minced
1-1/2 cups canned Crushed Tomatoes with their Juice
2-1/2 cups canned Chicken Broth
1 (15 ounces) can Pinto Beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 ounces) can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 teaspoon Fresh Ground Black Pepper
1/3 cup chopped Fresh Cilantro Leaves
1/2 cup shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese
1. Add vegetable oil to large saucepan. Heat over low heat.
2. Sauté onion and garlic in vegetable oil 3 minutes or until onion is translucent and tender.
3. Increase heat to medium.
4. Stir in chicken strips and sauté 2 more minutes, or until chicken strips are no longer pink.
5. Add chili powder, ground cumin, dried oregano, and coarse salt.
6. Stir in jalapeno chili peppers, crushed tomatoes with canning liquid and chicken broth.
7. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes.
8. Watch liquid level, and add small amounts of water, if necessary.
9. Stir in pinto beans, black beans, and fresh ground black pepper.
10. Simmer additional 15 minutes.
1. Spoon chili into individual soup bowls.
2. Garnish with cilantro.