Varicose veins refer to the condition in which the veins of the legs become varicosed, i.e. they appear swollen and bulging and can be made out from the outside. Varicose veins may be dark in color or may retain their original color. They are always painful. In case of prolonged varicose veins, there could be skin peeling and skin ulcers in certain affected parts of the legs.
Read more on Yoga for Various Diseases and Yoga Exercise and Excessive Bleeding during Menstruation
Causes of Varicose Veins
1. Long-standing periods
2. Wearing tight-fit clothing
5. Crossing the legs, while sitting
Symptoms of Varicose Veins
1. Aching or discomfort in the legs
2. Burning sensation
3. Itching on the legs
4. Swelling of the ankles
5. Muscular cramps
Home Remedies for Varicose Veins
1. Vitamin E and C are essential for the treatment of varicose vein. For this, take 3,000 mg of vitamin C and 600 to 1,200 mg of vitamin E daily.
2. Staying on an all-fruit diet, for two to three days, is an easy solution for varicose veins. Thereafter, have a balanced diet that includes grains, seeds, nuts, raw vegetables and fresh fruits.
3. Warm water enema is a good home remedy to cure varicose veins, as it helps cleanse the bowels.
4. Applying apple cider vinegar to the varicose veins two times a day i.e. in the morning and evening would prove helpful in treating the problem. This would make the vein shrink back to their original size.
5. Taking hot Epsom salt bath, two times in a week, will prove effective in treating varicose veins.
6. Another useful home remedy would be to massage the affected area with rosemary oil.
7. Take some fuller’s earth powder and add some water to it, until it forms a paste. Apply this mudpack on the affected area at night and leave it on till the morning. Then, rinse off with water.
8. In 4 ounces of carrier oil (almond oil), add 12 drops each of cypress and rosemary essential oils. Apply this mixture on the legs, by gently stroking them in an upward motion. This is an effective way to treat varicose veins.
9. Applying vitamin E oil or witch hazel tea to the affected area serves as a good home remedy for varicose veins.
Diet for Varicose Veins
Diets for varicose veins are listed below:
1. High Fiber Diet to Treat Varicose Veins: Constipation can increase the risk of varicose veins by building up pressure and further aggravating the condition. Experts opine that fibers can add bulk to the stools and stimulate normal bowel contractions, thereby controlling varicose veins. One may regularly include whole grains (millet, buckwheat), legumes, fruits and vegetables etc in regular diet.
2. Drink Plenty of Water to Reduce Varicose Veins: It is recommended to drink a minimum of 8 glasses of water regularly. This can keep the body hydrated and prevent hardening of stools when we do not consume enough water.