The power of social media to boost your website’s (or blog’s) authority in terms of traffic and revenue is simply phenomenal. They say that a website which makes it to the front page of popular social media websites such as Digg or gets a lot of votes on Stumbleupon can attract millions of visits in a short span of time. What is there in these sites that make them such as hot favorite? Some basic research will astonishingly reveal that a majority of them contain content that has the following features –
1. Humor – Most of the websites draw upon humor and general entertaining stuff. This humor is employed in a way which elevates the level of content to a different place altogether.
2. Concise and easy to comprehend – A majority of them have been written in as simple a manner as possible for this makes it easy for a larger number of users to understand what is being talked about.
3. ‘A picture is worth a thousand words’ – You will find that interesting pictures seem to be a popular staple of social media addicts. Pictures take a matter of seconds to convey the same message that a tediously long article would take.
These are just three aspects of content that has the power to bring limitless link love and traffic to your website. The question is how can you create such content.
Creating a List
Forget pictures, forget creative writing and forget interesting videos. These are rare skills and therefore, few websites manage to make it big solely on these characters. Creating a list is perhaps the simplest way of incorporating the traits mentioned above in your articles. Lists are simple to understand, they can be pimped with interesting images and you can improve readership by attributing supportive resources to them.
Common Mistakes to Avoid While Writing a List
While lists are easy to create, one can still make a few unintentional errors which might waste one’s effort. These basic pointers will help you steer clear of the common difficulties and mistakes while writing a list.
1. Investigate and Innovative – The USP of a hit list is the innovation with which it is written. Slightly warped humor can be a great attention puller but do not go overboard. It is vital that you research deeply on the topics which you are listing and create a list which has not been repeated elsewhere.
2. Do not get carried away – Remember that you are creating a list because online readers have low attention spans. Write concisely and do not get carried away due to which your list will lose its essence.
3. Websites such as Cracked.com and Smashing Magazine are two sites which have exploited the art of using lists to attract traffic rather effectively. Articles such as “6 Insane Discoveries That Science Cannot Explain” and “70 Creative WordPress Themes” have funny and appealing titles which instantly evokes a sense of curiosity in the reader. Collect the resources or individual items of the list, think of engaging titles and subtitles, pimp it up with some images and you have created your list. Instead of droning endlessly, you have achieved much more in the same time.