Writing a best man speech may be one of the hardest things you will ever have to do. Just about everyone is afraid of public speaking and the formal environment of a wedding can add to that fright. Here are a few tips when you are writing a best man speech.
1. Keep it short. We have all attended events where someone stands up and talks for ten minutes about nothing and loses the whole audience. Between 2-4 minutes is the perfect amount of time for a best man speech.
2. Write it out in advance. This will give you time to practice, memorize, and perfect your speech. The more time you give yourself the better your speech will be.
3. Make notes. Especially if you are nervous speaking in front of a crowd notes can be a tremendous help. If you forget part of your speech you can look down at your notes and pick up where you left off.
4. Introduce yourself and how you know the bride and groom. Not only does this eat up some of the time for your speech but its unlikely that everyone in the room will know who you are. A good idea is to include how you meet the bride and groom and how long you have known them for.
5. Thank the parents and guest. It is a tradition that the best man thank the guests for attending and the parents for making it possible.
6. Talk your buddy up. Tell the crowd about his loyalty, how he has always been there, or how much he loves the bride. Speak of the groom as he is the greatest man on the planet even though as his best man you probably know otherwise.
7. Tell a story. Everyone loves a good story. Talk about an experience you remember having with the groom adding tasteful jokes. This should be included in the middle of the speech and make sure it is not making him look bad and is appropriate for the crowd.
8. Propose a toast. This is the most important part of your speech. After all this speech is often called the best man’s toast. You can add a quote or speak from the heart but the most important part is to congratulate the new bride and groom.